What is Dry Eye?
Dry Eye means that your eyes may not be making enough tears, that the tears which are being produced are of poor quality or that the tears that are produced evaporate away. The normal function of tears is to keep the surface of the eye wet and lubricated so any shortage of tears or reduction in their quality can produce a gritty, burning sensation of the eyes and can also blur vision.
The symptoms of Dry Eye syndrome may include:
What are the causes of Dry Eye?
Dry Eye can be caused by a wide variety of everyday factors which include:
- Blepharitis (dry flaking skin around the eyelashes)
- Dry environment and pollution
- Computer use
- Contact lens wear
- LASIK surgery
- Hormonal changes, especially in women e.g. menopause
- Dry Eye may also be symptomatic of general health problems or disease e.g. people with arthritis
- Certain types of medications
How is dry eye treated?
In some cases patient’s symptoms can be relieved simply by altering the external influences above. Environmental factors can be helped by making simple changes